VFW Post 5855 provides scholarships to veterans seeking to advance their education.
These scholarships are unrestricted and may be used for any education expense.
Quantity and amount of awards will be determined by the scholarship committee based on availability of funds.
Eligibility of Scholarship
A person may apply for the scholarship multiple times, but may only be awarded the scholarship once. It is non-renewable
Application Deadline: September 15
- Applicant must be a combat veteran and have been awarded a campaign medal or expeditionary medal
- Must be attending a university, college or trade school in the state of Michigan
- Must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale. If no post-secondary GPA has been established then high school GPA will be used. Otherwise GPA will be from the post-secondary institution
- Must be a current member of a veterans service organization (VSO)
If you meet the eligibility criteria and are interested in competing for the Portage Post 5855 VFW Scholarship then download the following scholarship application
- Complete this application
- Provide a copy of Student ID
- Provide a copy of current VSO membership card
- Provide a copy of DD 214 showing campaign credit (please redact SSN)
- Provide a copy of transcript (this may be an unofficial copy)
- Submit an essay of no more than 600 words outlining why you joined the military, how it affected your life, what you plan to do after graduation and how this scholarship will affect your ability to achieve those plans
You can submit the packet by mailing it to: Scholarship Committee 8845 S Sprinkle Rd, Portage, MI 49024. Or you can scan the packet and upload it here:
If you receive an error because the file is larger than 2MB, you can email it directly to: email@example.com